EXCLUSIVE USE: No
PRIVATE PIER: Yes
SEASONALITY: March - November
OVERNIGHT CAPACITY: 152 rooms + 4 private villas
Column Room - 80 guests
Imperial Salon - 210 guests
DISTANCE FROM COMO CITY CENTER BY CAR: 7.3Km
Villa D'Este, originally named Villa del Garovo, was built in 1568 as the summer residence of Cardinal Tolomeo Gallio and it is located in Cernobbio, just 15 minutes drive from the city center. The Villa extends on 25 acres of curated gardens and it has a prime position on the lake.
When Cardinal Tolomeo Gallio died, the villa passed to his family who allowed it to sink in decay. In 1784 it was bought by the Calderari family who started restoration projects at the villa and decided to refresh the gardens and create a nymphaeum as well as a temple. Villa D'Este passed in the hands of Vittoria Peluso, the wife of Calderari and ballerina at La Scala di Milano.
In 1815, it became the residence of Caroline of Brunswick that gave it the name Nuova Villa d'Este. The villa was transformed into a deluxe hotel for the nobility in 1873.